Sunday, July 4, 2010

AlmOsT a NoVeL

WARNING: It is a long one, hence the title!

We said goodbye to Helena. It was not easy, and I feel I will personally mourn the loss for a LONG period of time. Helena was so much to our little family. It was AMAZING friends who brought me out of my shell and were such great examples. It was the place I gained employment in which I came out of my comfort zone and did things I never thought possible. It is where I proved to myself that I could go back to school, at my old age! It was where my kids learned about park hopping,cow camping, and best friends. It has been a great 8 years! But most important it is where we gained some of the closest friends/adopted family and we know that because of that friendship, we will have them for life!

But, it is time to move on. Sometimes that is easier said then done. I am learning what it is to be 45 mins. from a grocery store again, and to keep an eye on the gas tank. I am also learning that my kids became very independent in our crazy lifestyle these last few years and that I now am almost learning to be a different kind of mom to them. I love that they are so enthusiastic about this change, and I can't help but feel some of their excitement be contagious. I love their example to me.
So... Life goes on! And for those who have expressed some concern, here is a picture to prove that so far none of my children have been eaten by bears. (Charlene, Karsyn is incident free as well).

Yesterday, Mike decided to break me back into the ranch wife life slowly (yeah right). He picked me up, had my horse saddled and ready, and informed me that we were going to doctor a bull. What does this mean for me? I have to rope it. I haven't roped anything in quite a long time, and at that they were just calves. So I get the bull around the neck and he says, "Just pull him over!" I am on a horse that I am sure is half this bull's size, but has heart like you wouldn't believe. And yes we just pulled him over. (Insert note that he was in pretty bad shape with foot rot, so this task was only mildly scary). Mike doctored him and then informed me to not let the bull up until he was back on his horse. Hmmmm, I could be really mean at this point and see just how fast he could get back on that horse, but I wasn't! This picture is right where we were doctoring the bull and the eye sores that we have to look at are just terrible (being facetious).

The first morning I was here, Mike asked me to go and help him move his dams (around 5:30 am). So we got on the 4-wheeler and cruised in the peacefulness of the morning (and when I say peaceful, I mean realllllly quiet). We came onto these elk, I whipped out my camera and took this picture, and then, my camera battery died. So, that was that. Later, I dropped him off at the tractor he needed to drive back to the shop, and took off by myself ahead of him. As I crossed a bridge and came out in a clearing, there was my first bear sighting. My first morning out on the ranch and of course I see one, all by myself. Mike has been here for over 2 weeks now, and hasn't seen hide nor hair of one. Ok, that is not all true. He found a backbone of a dead animal with the meat still fresh on it and a pile of bear dung right next to it. But, no bear around for him to glimpse at.




That is our life as of right now. And once again, thank you Helena area for the wonderful life you provided our family for the time we were there (all 8 years).

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Good luck Kadie! I don't know how well I'd handle having my whole life turned upside down.

Heather Lay said...

wow, Katie....you are such a wife. I mean it. I want to do this someday, but for only a week. We miss your strong spirit here. You are doing the right thing with your family. Keep posting.

whitey said...

Yep a new adventure in the Briggs family can not wait for the new chapter!

SandyKay said...

Great post! Love the pictures ~ kids look so happy. I've had such a hard time cause I can't see in my mind yet your new place. Hope to see it soon. I'm sad for you all to be leaving your Helena life but you will do great in your new life and the experiences are going to be priceless. Hugs and love to all ~


About Me

My photo
Ranch born and raised, we love the lifestyle that ranching offers. We also enjoy the oppurtunity of passing on the tradition to our four children.