Sunday, April 19, 2009

A DaY LonG AwAitEd





















When Mike and I were dating and newly engaged, we threw around the idea of a dream of having beautiful kids (which we did) and having the opportunity to all ride together as a whole family and work cows. I have to say that when Kwin was almost 3 and Spencer almost 2 we had an experience or two where we went out and they rode on the front of our saddles... But never just us as a family doing it "our way". Well, Mike's way anyway! So the last few days we have gathered one large field of Cows and their week to two week old calves and moved them across a bridge, around and through fallen trees and heavy brush, down a road through a boggy swamp, and by a large canal. See it makes it sound better if I add all the particulars... :) and of course I took some pics of our days as seen above....

One of the highlights for me was when Mike left KwinLee (with Reed), Hyrum, and I to gather the majority of the cows, while he and Spencer rode through the brush and gathered the stragglers. I sent KwinLee out to one side and instructed Hyrum to ride down the road and gather any of the cows that were there. I in turn was going to do the in between work through the trees and dead fall. Hyrum informed me after we started that I need to get those cows (as he pointed) and he would take care of these ones (directly ahead). He then once in awhile would further his instruction and "line me out" on what I needed to do. As we got along into our journey, he started to get closer to me and abandoned his post. Knowing in my mind he was lonely and having heck keeping his horse on course away from the other horses, I asked him, "do you think mom needs some help?" In which he replied, "yes!" Well, moving new calves through trees and dead fall can be an experience and my horse being well trained was moving at a hurried pace going back and forth directing calves... I am sure it made me look a little frantic compared to Hyrum's saunter. Finally after observing my state for a period of time, Hyrum calmly said, "Wow mom, you need more help then I thought!" Try staying on top of a fast cutting horse chasing after a rogue calf while laughing into hysteria. I managed, but not gracefully. The story only continues from here...but I will save it for another day and stronger constitutions!
Disclaimer: No horses, cows, dogs, or kids were hurt in this experience... Well, maybe one cow will have a head ache for a few days.

6 comments:

Nettie said...

KD,....you are way too funny! I can imagine the frantic that Hyrum thought you MIGHT be feeling. Sounded like a "dream come true" those few days out on the "range". The kids look so BIG in the photos! They are Adorable! I love the one of Mike and his horse. You two made such a cute family!

Kare Bear said...

That is so neat that you guys can all go out together now! I look forward(and in a way dread) when the girls will be riding with me and Kyle. It will be fun but sad to have them so grown up.What a fun day for you all!

Jake and Angie said...

I cannot imagine my kids on horses, but then I have only been on a horse 2 times, and I fell off the first time. Your kids look really cute.

Stephanie said...

How fun for you to be able to spend time together as a family doing something you and Mike love so much. You provide the kids an opportunity to spend time with you and you teach them a good work ethic at the same time. I have some good family memories of June cattle drives in Montana when all of us were on a horse together, unless of course I was the one stuck riding Doberry. =)

whitey said...

So jealous!!

GrandmaNutt said...

The only way I can relate to your experience is by re-imagining movies I have seen. What a great life for a family to share. We 'dudes' on the east coast are mighty jealous.

cousin Vicky


About Me

My photo
Ranch born and raised, we love the lifestyle that ranching offers. We also enjoy the oppurtunity of passing on the tradition to our four children.