Thursday, July 3, 2008

Cow Camp 08'

I have a similar picture almost in the same spot from fall last year!
KwinLee, Hyrum, and Ol' Bean Dip
Moving Cows!
Setting up the Tepee!
Reed around the camp fire!
Well, we made it. The cows are tucked nicely away in green pastures far, far away. The kids enjoyed their camping experience, we stayed dry in our tent, and only had a few wild events. The little boys call cow camp "horse camp" because of all the horses that are there, parked in the middle of camp. Try keeping your two year old away from all the HORSES....

I was able to stay aboard my horse, others were not so fortunate. We were witness to a few bad horse wrecks, a bad cow wreck, and me roping a calf, once again on the first try. I put a bet out that if someone would pay me $100 I would even ride, not walk, my horse across the cement York Bridge. Not one offer, so like all the other good cowboys, I got off and led my horse across. No slipping off into the drink for me!

Yesterday, Buzz took Hyrum and Reed off the mountain to run an errand or two. Meanwhile, Mike, KwinLee, Spencer, and I moved 60 pair to their own beautiful pasture, where we all got off and gently walked our horses up a very steep, rocky, foraged hill, with a cliff off of one side. See, once again I am such a rider that I got off and walked. We made it to the top for a spectacular view, then rode the "long way" back to the cabin. Where we being the only ones back there, enjoyed a quiet lunch together. We also got dry, for it rained on us as we hiked up that muddy, slick mountain. At one point I was chasing a cow and had to climb a steep embankment, my boots with no traction were spinning under me, my borrowed horse gently nudged her head under my behind and gave me the boost I was needing. Us girls, we stick together.

Our first night found us trying to get our little Reed to fall asleep in the new, exciting atmosphere. Our tent was just a little ways away from Buzz and Sharon's, every time Mike and I would fall asleep, Reed would get out of his bed and start wandering around our big ol' tent, talking to himself and making lots of noise. This brought giggles from our neighbors. The next night I threatened Buzz a night with Reed in his tent, and conveniently he was in bed way before we were even to our tent!

So many events, including a tepee setting up. Smores around the camp fire, card games, and a lot of food. I know that once again it was such a great success with our kids, that starting tomorrow, we will probably get asked on a quite regular basis "when is cow camp?"





Add Image

No comments:


About Me

My photo
Ranch born and raised, we love the lifestyle that ranching offers. We also enjoy the oppurtunity of passing on the tradition to our four children.