Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sushine

Friday was our big branding. It was a great day (nice and hot). They branded over 300 calves and I watched the majority of it. I did not get one offer to vaccinate calves. I guess that stabbing myself with a needle in the arm makes them think me somewhat unable. Oh well, I did put a few in head catches and chased after the few rogue ones that got away with a rope still on a hind foot.

Reed of course wanted to be right in the action. I am sure he could have wrestled with those calves that outweighed him by about 5 to 1. Hyrum was also wanting to "watch the gate" with the older kids, just sure he could do something helpful (like run from the cows if they got close). KwinLee and Spencer helped bring the pairs in and then spent the rest of the day either trying to catch each other in the cattle chute or playing guard of the gate with the Palmer Girls.

It was a beautiful day, and the kids slept so very well that night. The next day we made our round trip to Lima for the funeral of my music teacher/volleyball coach/ friends mom/co-worker. The kids were troopers for us, spending a lot of time in the car. Sugie (aka Cimber) saved them for awhile and took them to the park to play. It was a nice funeral, reflecting on a remarkable woman. I was happy to see so many of my friends, and catch up the best we could.

Our trip home was interesting. We stopped at dad's and then he treated us to dinner at the Buffalo. The part of this that was interesting was that Mike was driving his cousin's (the funeral directors) car back to Dillon for him. Just what Mike has always wanted to drive, a Cadilac. I just don't imagine that he would have thought it would be a HURSE.

No comments:


About Me

My photo
Ranch born and raised, we love the lifestyle that ranching offers. We also enjoy the oppurtunity of passing on the tradition to our four children.